Saturday, July 7, 2018

The Cemetery at D/FW Airport

In the introduction to Waylon County: Texas Stories, I talk about having family buried at Lonesome Dove Cemetery. This week I learned some other interesting facts about my family's past. I learned that my grandmother's ancestors, who arrived in Texas in 1840, received a Peters Colony land grant in what is now known as Grapevine.

One of my grandmother's ancestors, James Cate (1818-1908), gave 4.1 acres to his father-in-law, a lay minister by the name of Green W. Minter, for a chapel and a cemetery. Decades later, the chapel was moved to make way for D/FW Airport, though the cemetery is still there on the property of one of the world's busiest airports. A trip to visit this historical site is definitely in order.



Image result for minters chapel cemetery texas state historical

No comments:

Post a Comment