Thursday, October 4, 2018

Krasna Lipa: What's in a Name?

My short story, "Ink Upon the Furrows," which was recently released by the Texas Observer, is set in the fictional town of Krasna Lipa. "Krasna Lipa" literally means "Beautiful Lime," and I chose this name because the lime tree is a symbol of the Czech people. 

The lime tree, it must be noted, does not bear citrus fruit. It is what is known as the linden tree in Germany, and in Texas I tend to hear it called the basswood tree. When my wife, Martina, flew back to Texas recently, she came with Lipový čaj, lime tea, in her suitcase, which is a folk remedy for the common cold. I have included a picture below.

   
Here is a link to "Ink Upon the Furrows," the winner of the 2018 Texas Observer Short Story Contest:

No comments:

Post a Comment