Saturday, July 23, 2016

Log Cabin Village

This afternoon I visited Log Cabin Village in Fort Worth for the first time since I was a wee lad. One of the highlights is a dog trot cabin that was owned by Isaac Parker, the namesake of Parker County and the uncle of Cynthia Ann Parker, who lived in the cabin for a time. In case you don't know the story, Cynthia Ann Parker was abducted by the Comanches as a child and was raised Comanche, married the Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and was the mother of Quanah Parker, the leader of the Quahadi band. When she was "recaptured" by the Texas Rangers as an adult, she identified herself as Comanche and would run away trying to return to her tribe.

Isaac Parker is actually the famous hanging judge of Fort Smith, Arkansas. Yes, Isaac Parker is the famous judge from True Grit. He is also mentioned in Steve Earle's "Tom Ames' Prayer." The interpretive guide stationed at the cabin had plenty of interesting details to share. He told me that the cabin was originally in Birdville, the former county seat. From what the interpretive guide told me, the cabin would have been situated near the old Birdville Cemetery, a place I visited on a school field trip when I was in elementary school. I reckon I will pay Birdville Cemetery and its surroundings a visit for the first time in many moons.




No comments:

Post a Comment