Tuesday, August 9, 2016

God Bless Jerry Garcia

Twenty-one years ago today Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead passed from this life. In early July of that year, a friend and I traveled about 650 miles from the Metroplex to Saint Louis to see them play. How fortunate we were. For me, 1995 was a rambling year. When my buddy and I left for Saint Louis, I had only been in America a few days after a stint of teaching English in South Korea. Then, after returning home from Saint Louis, I caught a Greyhound to Buffalo, Wyoming, to stay with some friends and fruitlessly look for a job before returning to Yellowstone National Park, my old standby. Back in Yellowstone, Jerry Garcia was a folk hero, and the day that he died I quietly put the flag at half-mast in front of the Grant Village post office.

In honor of Jerry Garcia, here is a 1966 recording of the Grateful Dead playing "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean," which was written by Dallas blues legend Blind Lemon Jefferson.


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Howdy from yer anonymous Metroplex to St. Louis traveling companion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NSB, That was a fine journey indeed. Thanks for checking in. The Dead opened with Uptown Mississippi Half-Step Toodleoo. Hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete