Sunday, August 7, 2016

One Man's Treasure

 This weekend at a used book and record store I happened across some old 78 rpm records being sold for 78 cents each. One of the records was "Runnin' Around" by Woody Carter and His Hoedown Boys on the now-defunct Lucky 7 label. I gave the 10 inch record a spin on the turntable, and the clever little ditty gave me a laugh. When I tried to find the song online to share, all I came across was a synth-pop tune by the same name. To my knowledge, no synth-pop was ever recorded on shellac records.

I also scored a handful of 78 rpm records on the (also) now-defunct Blue Bonnet label. Blue Bonnet was a Fort Worth record company, and the albums I found were of western swing acts like Buster, Stoney, and the Buckaroos. I will clearly have to do some research to find out more about Blue Bonnet Records. It's hard to believe that you can buy a couple of albums more than sixty year old for about the same price as a Dr. Pepper at your local convenience store. I imagine that whoever traded the records in must have gotten about a quarter each. Clearly one man's trash is another man's treasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment