Sunday, July 9, 2017

A Few Days as a Texas Tour Guide

Martina and I had visitors from the Czech Republic for several days, and we guided them around Fort Worth and the surrounding area. There is plenty of interesting history here, but very little of it is identified by a historical marker. While we had breakfast at JRs Cafe in Saginaw, I told them about Bob Wills recording "San Antonio Rose" across the road at Burrus Mill, and I told them about the mill's sales manager, Pappy O'Daniel, and his successful bid for the governorship. 

When we drove past Meacham Airport, I told them about Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart both flying through that airfield. At the corner of Main and Exchange, I pointed to the room once occupied by Bonnie and Clyde. A little farther up the road we talked about the Tarrant County Courthouse, and how it cost the city council members their seats once the public saw the price tag on the great granite structure, and I showed them the Knights of Pythias Building, where cowboys used to gallop down Main Street on their horses and fill the knight full of lead. 

We greatly enjoyed our visitors, and the fun was merely punctuated by me hollering about whatever was passing by out the window.   

Image result for fort worth postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment