Sunday, July 23, 2017

Allusions

In literature, we often see allusions to the ancient Greeks, to the Bible, or to writers such as Shakespeare and Milton. Such allusions can quickly convey complex thoughts as well as signal erudition and sophistication on the part of the writer. In my own work, I often allude to old country songs. The genre, called "hillbilly" in the days of the 78 rpm record, was hardly considered allusion-worthy in its day. However, today I unabashedly allude to old country songs in my work because I feel the genre is worthy of legitimization.  

This morning I was listening to Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers and realized how deliberately she must have chosen a pair of references she uses in the song "Never Be Fooled Again." She sings "When Hank Williams cries / And Bill Monroe hits those high notes / I know in our darkest hour / There's still a light shining down inside." Hank Williams is known for "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and Bill Monroe for that High Lonesome Sound. The way I interpret the lines is that when we are lonesome, the music reminds us that we are not alone. So here is a song with a Texas sound that is more well-crafted than it would seem at first glance. 

In my own work, although I have been known to allude to folks like Descartes, Nietzsche, and Dante, I will throw an Ernest Tubb allusion in the mix in a heartbeat. My poem, "Revisiting Your Last Days," which will be published in the upcoming Panther City Review, alludes to a traditional song, but I think I'll discuss that once the review has been published.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment