Monday, November 6, 2017

Mamas and Middle Names

Growing up, if my mama summoned me using my first, middle, and last name, I knew things were going south in a hurry. Of course, that probably rings true for most folks. Any time an ol' boy's mama is hollering all of his names like he was an assassin or a serial killer, she probably ain't calling him in for supper.  

In Waylon County, plenty of characters are called by all of their names even when their mamas aren't on the warpath. The book also includes plenty of references to songs by people who go by three names, like Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, and Gary P. Nunn. (Yes, I understand that "P." is an initial, but let's not split hairs.) 

And here is a song by one of those three named fellas. It is the only song I know of that references the Gillespie County dump, a place I visited on occasion before my mama moved to town and got city garbage service. 



If you will be in the North Texas area on Saturday, November 11, stop by the Restaurant of the Mind Book Store in Saginaw for coffee and a discussion of Waylon County from 4 pm to 6 pm. 



     

No comments:

Post a Comment