Monday, November 27, 2017

Texas Blue Law: Can't Buy a Car on Sunday

When I was a young 'un, Texas still had its blue laws which disallowed folks from buying certain products on Sunday. From my childhood, I remember that you couldn't buy balloons on the Sabbath. It was also illegal to buy pots and pans, baby bottles, mugs, nails, screws, booze (of course), and washing machines. Car dealers got to pick their poison. They could be open one day on the weekend. Thus, they stayed closed on Sundays.

Although the blue laws went the way of the dodo in 1985, a few remnants still remain. One of those remnants is car dealerships being closed on Sundays. Personally, I don't really care if they're open on Sunday or not, but I did want to share this unique piece of Texas legal history.

Here is Lightnin' Hopkins singing about a Black Cadillac. You know he didn't buy it on Sunday.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment