Saturday, May 4, 2019

Farmers Market

This morning Martina and I went to the farmers market at Bear Creek Park in Keller, Texas. While we were there, we met a gentleman from Texas Fungus, a farm that provides area chefs with specialty mushrooms and truffles. Martina asked about a particular species that grows in the woods in the Czech Republic and is commonly used for soup. The gentleman said that he could get her some.

I asked about a native mushroom I had eaten at a restaurant in McAllen last weekend. All I could remember was that the name sounded like it could be Nahuatl, and it turns out that he knew what I was talking about. The mushroom is called huitlacoche and was highly praised by Diana Kennedy in her The Cuisines of Mexico.

After learning a bit about mushroom farming, Martina and I bought some oyster mushrooms that we will have for dinner this evening. I must say that I always love meeting people with specialized skills and interests. I love to hear their stories and learn about their passions. In fact, having the opportunity to learn about other people's worlds is one of my favorite things in life.

  
Oyster Mushrooms

A Favorite Childhood Fishing Hole

No comments:

Post a Comment