Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gamblers and Gangsters

I recently purchased Gamblers and Gangsters: Fort Worth's Jacksboro Highway in the 1940s and 1950s. What I find most interesting is how some of the stories match the tales I heard from my grandfathers, who knew some of the gangsters back in the old days. When I was a boy, I was told about where these gangsters were found dead, and I heard a tale or two about their exploits, and at least one of these stories I assume has never been published. The Jax was a rough place back then... While I like the gangland tales, I want to know more about the music down there. Willie Nelson (who my grandfather said was a redheaded peckerwood playing for drinks and tips) used to play down there (behind chicken wire) before he was famous.   

No comments:

Post a Comment