Saturday, November 16, 2013

Fort Worth: Main Street

For a number of years, I lived abroad and traveled often. Now that I am back home in Fort Worth, I still have the urge to explore. However, the approach I have taken is different. Rather than go farther, I go deeper. For example, I might go downtown to see if I can see the bullet holes shot in the metal knight known as "Saint George" on the Knights of Pythias building on Main Street. In the old days, the cowboys would "celebrate" and then ride down Main Street discharging their firearms.

The famous gunfight between "Longhair" Jim Courtwright and Luke Short actually occurred in front of the White Elephant on Main Street in the space now occupied by Earth Bones. The gunfight did not occur at the establishment on Exchange in the Fort Worth Stockyards as people sometimes believe.

Below is perhaps the most famous photograph ever taken in Fort Worth, a portrait of the Wild Bunch. It was taken in John Swartz's photo studio at 705 Main Street in 1900. Richard Selcer's Hell's Half Acre is a great resource for those interested in learning more about the Wild Bunch's connection to Fort Worth and Cowtown in general.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment