Saturday, January 16, 2016

Fort Worth Stock Show

When I was a kid, my parents took me to the stock show every year. I loved putting on my cowboy hat and boots and going over to Will Rogers to see the livestock on a cold January day. Seeing the cattle, horses, sheep, and poultry was always fun. I also enjoyed wasting a little bit of my dad's hard-earned money on the midway. Carnies have to make a living, too.

At the rodeo, I remember seeing Larry Mahan, the famous bull rider, and I was absolutely transfixed by Red Stegall, the country and western singer, when he played there in what must have been 1977. The picture below is one like many, many others, but it is an image that is ingrained in my mind, those exciting first moments of the rodeo.


Image result for fort worth stock show


This year is the 120th stock show. To give it some perspective, I think that it is interesting to note that in 1909 Quanah Parker, along with forty Comanche and Kiowa braves, led the parade. While in Fort Worth, the warriors stayed in teepees not far from Cowtown Coliseum. Anyone interested in an in-depth study of the stock show's history can read Clay Reynolds' A Hundred Years of Heroes: A History of the Southwest Exposition and Livestock Show (TCU Press: 1995).

Here is the link: http://www.tamupress.com/product/Hundred-Years-of-Heroes,2268.aspx



Here is a link to the stock show website.




Finally, here is a link to "Cows Around" by Corb Lund, a Canadian country artist who played in Fort Worth on Fourth of July weekend, straight from a show at the Calgary Stampede. The song is pretty hilarious.





No comments:

Post a Comment