Sunday, August 5, 2018

National Sisters Day in Texas

Today is National Sisters Day, a fact I honestly did not know until this morning after reading a Texas State Historical Association tweet featuring a photograph of the Twin Sisters Dance Hall. Well, this afternoon I got to thinking about sisters, and my mother and her three sisters in particular.

Yes, you heard correctly. My grandparents had four daughters. Back when I was knee-high to a katydid, all four of the sisters even played on the same softball team. If I were a composer of elementary school math problems, I would definitely write a question about that softball team. The answer would be 40%. The Drain sisters made up 40% of the starting lineup.

And here is a song by the fiddle-playing Quebe Sisters from Burleson, Texas. Happy National Sisters Day from the Lone Star State!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment