Sunday, September 9, 2018

The Writer from Indian Creek

Lately I've been as busy as ol' Beelzebub himself and consequently have not written a blog post in what seems like ages. I have, however, bought a few books, The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter among them, and I have been trying to read at least a short story or a couple of poems each night before going to sleep. 

When I first read Katherine Anne Porter many years ago, I was young and restless with a head full of Kerouac and Hemingway. I was hardly ready to truly appreciate the National Book Award winner from Indian Creek, Texas. Today I am delighted by the richness of her work and look forward to reading more of it.

In this interview, Porter says that when she was a child nobody told her what to read or not to read, which, in my opinion, allows a person to pursue his or her own interests and become an independent thinker. At 26:42, the great author gives her advice for aspiring writers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment