Saturday, October 27, 2018

Measured by Trains

In the place where I live, life is not measured by coffee spoons, but by the passing of trains. But not all trains are alike. A train lightened of its load can rattle by in two or three minutes, though an overburdened coal train can take more than fifteen minutes to chug by. If a train has stopped at the mill, expect to have plenty of time to listen to the Allman Brothers' Fillmore East, February 1970 album in its entirety, or if you happen to be in a metaphysical mood, to contemplate the true meaning of existence. Or you can just be happy to have some time to do nothing but sit quietly and enjoy the opportunity to simply be.

Here is a picture I took at a stop sign on the way to work yesterday when I was trying to outsmart a train. I liked the way the eastern sunlight glinted off the cars but only had about two seconds to point and shoot before having to turn right.



And here is ol' Guy Clark singing about a train from his childhood.

  

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy your comment on trains, but I wnted more; but then when someone writes about things they either know vey well or love, I always want morebecause they usually write that so well. Congratulations on a published book. I am impressed. I do not know the publisher. Have a feeling I might need to know more that as well. Anyway, I read several bits of your blog and I did enjoy your bits and pieces about life around here. Thank you for continuing to write and allowing others to read ...

    ReplyDelete