Saturday, April 27, 2019

Chester Drawers?

I recently came in on the tail-end of a debate between a native of Fort Worth and a native of Oklahoma regarding the term "Chester drawers." They both had heard the term employed to describe a certain piece of furniture, and after speaking with them for a moment, I remembered the term from my childhood as well.

Thus, I decided to do a little research. According to the linguists Pyles and Algeo, "Chester drawers" is an example of folk etymology and is based on a misunderstanding of the term "chest of drawers," which is a common answer among Southerners to what linguists call "the bureau question." 

If I were ever to become a rodeo clown, I think I would go by the name Chester Drawers. It has a nicer ring than Chest O' Drawers or any other bureau-related name I can think of. 

Here is a link to an interesting article on the subject: 



     

No comments:

Post a Comment