Monday, March 7, 2016

115th Anniversary of Bluebonnet as State Flower

On this day in 1901, the Texas legislature opted to wake up and smell the roses by proclaiming the bluebonnet the state flower. Our favorite little lupine, the Lupinus subcarnosus, has been known by many names. It has been called wolf flower, which, of course, makes sense considering that it is a lupine, and it has also been called buffalo clover as well as el conejo, or "the rabbit," in Spanish. I think I am going to make a proclamation today. I proclaim that I will now start calling the bluebonnet "buffalo clover" because I like the ring to it.

Interestingly enough, the highway department, which is not always known for its aesthetic sensibilities, started spreading prairie clover on our roadsides in the 1930s. This year, I am told, should be a fine year for prairie clover. In the coming weeks I anticipate puttering along through Texas enjoying the spring bloom.


Image result for bluebonnet

Image result for bluebonnet

We Texans can also be happy that our state flower is not the Rafflesia, a Southeast Asian flower that can measure more than three feet across and weigh up to 22 lbs. Although we like things big in Texas, the Rafflesia may not be the flower for us. You see, the Rafflesia is also known as the "corpse flower" because it smells like rotting meat, a fine evolutionary adaptation that helps the plant attract flies. I think I'll remain content with our fragrant little prairie clover.

Image result for rafflesia

No comments:

Post a Comment