Friday, March 4, 2016

Hayes Carll and Hemingway

The first time I heard Hayes Carll's song "It's a Shame" I was reminded of Ernest Hemingway's breakthrough novel, The Sun Also Rises, which was published in 1926. The last lines of the novel read as follows:

     "Oh, Jake," Brett said, "we could have had such a damned good time together."
     Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
     "Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

"It's a Shame," in my opinion, could easily be added to the conversation. At the very least, I could see the words of the song inside the mind of either Brett or Jake during this exchange. Here is a live version of "It's a Shame" which, in my purview, more closely resembles the Flowers and Liquor version of the song than the one on Trouble in Mind.







No comments:

Post a Comment