Monday, December 4, 2017

Cathead Biscuits

Before I go any further, I need to make one thing clear. Cathead biscuits are not made from cats. Catheads were given this name because they are approximately the same size as a feline noggin. There is no reason to call the SPCA.

As a child, the term perplexed me. I wondered what the actual ingredients of a cathead biscuit could possibly be. That is when I remembered the words of the giant in Jack in the Beanstalk. I remembered all of that "Fee Fi Fo Fum" business and the giant saying that he would "grind ye bones to make my bread." Judging from the fact that catheads are white on the inside, you can imagine what conclusions I drew in my fevered little schoolboy mind.

Here is a cathead recipe from the Homesick Texan, though she does not use the term until the end.



And here's "Please, Pass the Biscuits, Pappy" sung by a man who would become the  governor of Texas.




And here is a link to buy a copy of my book, Waylon County, if you don't have one already. As you can probably imagine, the good people of Waylon County have been known to eat a cathead biscuit or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment