Monday, December 25, 2017

Symbol of Resilience: Christmas Angel

When I was six years old, lightning hit our house one Sunday morning while our family was at  church. The living room was badly damaged by the fire, and my parents lost much of what was in their bedroom. After firefighters had put out the blaze, my father went into the house and resuscitated our hamster by blowing into his mouth. In the following days, I remember the whole family in the backyard washing the smoke off of toys and other belongings in a plastic children's pool.

After a few months of living with my grandparents, we were able to move back into our house. That Christmas, a little cardboard angel that had survived the fire was placed on top of the tree. Her hair and face were blackened by smoke, but we left her just as she was. Every year since, the little angel has taken a place of honor upon a Christmas tree in my mother's home. Through life's many changes, she has maintained that place of honor as a symbol of faith, hope, and resilience.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment