Wednesday, November 18, 2015

End Urban Sprawl

While I love my home state, I absolutely despise the urban sprawl. I can no longer recognize my hometown thanks to regulations that allow developers to stack people on top of each other here. And it's not like I'm some old codger who is resistant to change. The problem is the magnitude of the situation. According to a 2014 study, urban sprawl in Fort Worth and Arlington is now worse than in Los Angeles, which was the poster child for the phenomenon for decades. Within my lifetime I expect to see the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area swallow everything from Hillsboro to the Oklahoma line. I expect to see an endless McMansion-scape dotted with Starbucks, Target, and all of their spiritual kin. Although we are probably on the edge of too late, we have to take action. We have to do something to stop this.

Here is an article in today's Dallas Morning News about a ranch that will be turned into a strip center and a bunch of houses:

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/friscos-brinkmann-ranch-set-for-homes-and-shopping-center.html/

Here is an article on what we can do to end urban sprawl:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/30/us/drawing-a-hard-line-against-urban-sprawl.html?pagewanted=all

urban sprawl.JPG



No comments:

Post a Comment