Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Flatlanders in Denton

The Denton Arts and Jazz Festival is April 29 to May 1 this year. Last year Martina and I had a great time sloshing around in the mud whilst listening to Dr. John do his New Orleans magic. This year the Flatlanders will be playing Saturday night, and I am really looking forward to it. I absolutely dig that lonesome West Texas sound.

To be transparent, the first time I ever heard the song "Dallas" was on a bootleg cassette of an REM show I bought in London in the early 90s. I assumed it was their song, and it was years later before I actually heard Jimmie Dale Gilmore play that little gem of his. With lyrics like the ones below, the song probably won't be adopted by the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, but its a fine song nonetheless. "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eye / A steel and concrete soul with a warm-hearted love disguise."

Here is a link to "Dallas." Have you ever seen Dallas from a DC-9 at night? I have. And it's a beautiful sight.



Image result for flatlanders

No comments:

Post a Comment