Monday, May 7, 2018

A Country Legend in Cleats

Although I don't remember a great deal of my childhood, I remember seeing Charley Pride in a Texas Rangers uniform playing catch and chasing pop flies before a game in Arlington Stadium. Then when batting practice was over, the country music great, who was once a pitcher in the Negro Leagues, stepped up to the microphone and sang the national anthem.

Once I was older, I had the opportunity to see Charley Pride perform at a couple of Willie's Picnics. I always liked his rich voice and easy-going stage presence. When I think about it, I guess I have been entertained by Charley Pride for most of my life. And I imagine there are many folks here in North Texas who would say the same.

Here is Charley Pride singing Brownsville native Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee."










No comments:

Post a Comment