Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Basketball and Tube Socks

On May 1, 1980, tube socks with stripes across the top were in fashion and the Dallas Mavericks officially joined the NBA. Although the popularity of tube socks later waned, the popularity of the Mavericks increased.

I personally was a proud wearer of tall tube socks in the early 80s, and I was most definitely wearing such hosiery when I tried out for basketball in the seventh grade. I imagine that I would have eventually been drafted by the Mavericks were I able to shoot or dribble, but since I lacked those minor skills, I got cut from the junior high team.

I was hardly devastated when I was given the boot, and considering that the coach just shook his head and smiled when he saw me trying to play basketball like it was football, I saw it coming. Considering that my basketball experience to that point consisted of the occasional game of HORSE, my getting cut from the team was surprising to no one. I just laughed and moved on.


Image result for brad davis dallas mavericks

No comments:

Post a Comment