Monday, February 5, 2018

Competitive Eating: The Big Texan

I usually shy from tabloid-like news on this blog, but I just happened across what I consider an exceptionally bizarre story. In 2015, a Nebraska woman weighing in at 124 lb. managed to eat three 72 oz. steaks plus all of the sides in a mere 20 minutes at the Big Texan in Amarillo. To put this into perspective, this woman could eat a four month old baby, three baked potatoes, three dinner rolls, three shrimp cocktails, and three salads in a single sitting.

I have passed the Big Texan, with its "Free 72 oz. Steak" sign, on many occasions, but I always knew in my heart that I would never be able to finish the steak in the allotted amount of time and that I would end up having to fork over $72 for the meal. In my mind, I figured that no one short of a big, burly eight foot tall cowboy would be able to finish the steak. Thus, the idea of a rather trim woman shoving back three steaks in 20 minutes left me in awe. As a side note, this same woman just ate 501 chicken wings in thirty minutes on Groundhog's Day in Philadelphia.   

Here is a video of Molly Schuyler, the competitive eater, gobbling down three steaks at the Big Texan in Amarillo. I personally could not watch the entire video due to its sheer decadence as well the champion's lack of table manners, but I did want to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment