Friday, February 2, 2018

Groundhogs? Prairie Dogs? Is there a difference?

Happy Groundhog Day, y'all. For today's installment, I would like to discuss the similarities and differences between groundhogs and prairie dogs. In terms of commonalities, groundhogs, also known as woodchucks, as in "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck," and prairie dogs are both in the squirrel family. They have the same number of toes, and their eyes ride high on their heads. In terms of differences, prairie dogs are smaller than groundhogs, and, if you will pardon my somewhat biased opinion, much more attractive.

Okay... My opinion is not somewhat biased. It is absolutely biased. I love prairie dogs. When I was a kid, we used to go to the little prairie dog town near my grandparents' house in Hurst and watch the little fellows frolic around. And I enjoyed seeing the prairie dog town in Lubbock when I was there for a journalism competition in high school. Those little critters just make me laugh.

Speaking of Lubbock, there once was a famous prairie dog named Prairie Dog Pete out there, and on February 2nd he would poke his head out of the burrow and make weather predictions, but I do not know where he is today. I do, however, know where Punxsutawney Phil is. He's in Pennsylvania, and he saw his shadow today, which means we will have six more weeks of winter. 

Here is an article about the differences between a groundhog and a prairie dog.


Here is a link to Lone Star Literary Life's web page. They are celebrating their third birthday today.


And here is a prairie dog from Lubbock.


No comments:

Post a Comment