Sunday, August 27, 2017

Book Contract: Waylon County

Yesterday I signed a book contract with Sleeping Panther Press. Waylon County, my collection of short stories, will be released in October. The book launch will be at the Funkytown Creative Arts Lounge on North Main in the Fort Worth Stockyards. For me, I could not think of a more meaningful location. Three generations of my family worked at the packing house in the Stockyards, and my stories are sometimes set within blocks of where the book is being launched.

It is strange to be at the end of this twenty-eight year quest. I have faced defeat after defeat after defeat, but my determination has never waned nor wavered. In high school and college, I received state level awards for my writing, but competing against other students is nothing like competing against veteran writers. In my twenties my determination was bolstered by a kind, encouraging note I received from the editors of Glimmer Train and a string of phone calls from City Lights Books. They made me believe that I had the talent, but I would also need the right break.

I have been chasing this dream for the majority of my life, and I would like to thank my publisher, Rachel Pilcher, for taking a chance on me.






   

1 comment:

  1. I have had the privilege of reading a few of the stories in this collection. They posses a depth, wisdom, humor and beauty that is rare and special. Can't wait to read the full collection.

    ReplyDelete