Friday, August 4, 2017

Goodbye to a Shooting Star: Anthony Ortiz, Jr.

Anthony Ortiz, Jr., the accordion player for Austin's Crooks, died last week at the age of 24 after a bout with cancer. I first saw Crooks at the Billy Bob's Fourth of July Picnic a couple of years ago, and I was enthralled by the band's energy, creativity, and showmanship. Ortiz, the heart and soul of the band, danced into the middle of the audience and played like thunder. A friend from Austin had been talking about Crooks for some time, and when I finally had the opportunity to see them, I understood what he was talking about. Soon after that show, I took my wife to see the band, and she also considered them one of the most exciting acts she had seen in some time.

Ray Benson compared the band to the Sir Douglas Quintet, an appropriate comparison in my opinion, and I think much of Crooks' success was due to Ortiz's contributions. I was deeply saddened by the loss of this young man, and my prayers are with his family, friends, and bandmates. I am glad that Anthony Oritz, Jr. did not have a day job, that his short life was dedicated to music. He deserved it. What he gave to others was precious and beautiful. May he rest in peace.


Here is a picture Martina took of Anthony Ortiz, Jr. at Billy Bob's.



Crooks on Ray Benson's Texas Music Scene






No comments:

Post a Comment