Sunday, September 24, 2017

A Waylon County Town: Krasna Lipa

When I was choosing a name for the Czech town in Waylon County, I thought about the environment. At first I wanted to name the town after the oaks, but Texas already has a town named Dubina, which means "oak grove." Before the hurricane of 1909, more than 600 families lived in Dubina, which is home to one of the area's famous Painted Churches. The hurricane essentially decimated the little Fayette County town, and today Dubina has a mere 44 inhabitants.

So, with the "dub" name already taken, I opted to name my little town Krasna Lipa, which means "beautiful linden tree." I chose the name because the linden, or lime tree as it is often called, is considered a symbol of the Slavic people. Although Krasna Lipa's history is not discussed in Waylon County, I plan to include an origin story in a future tale.

Here is information about the hamlet of Dubina:






    

No comments:

Post a Comment