Saturday, September 30, 2017

See Y'all Dreckly

Whenever I complete a section of dialogue in my writing, I then read it aloud. If it doesn't feel right on the tongue, I revise it. For example, if the character is a Texan living in an isolated area where language is not changing rapidly, I try to use language I associate with my grandparents' generation. So, rather than have a character say, "I'll see y'all later," I will have him say, "I'll see y'all dreckly."

In Texas, "dreckly" tends to mean "in a little while." From what I can tell, this usage made it to the American South via Cornwall, in the British Isles. The word is derived from "directly," and according to etymonline.com, the term dates back to about the 16th century. In Waylon County, I believe I only use "dreckly" one time, but I'll have to give that a gander dreckly to make sure I'm not telling y'all a windy.

You can learn more about the Waylon County book launch on October 7th by following the Sleeping Panther Press link below:


No comments:

Post a Comment