Saturday, October 14, 2017

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag

My stepfather, Randy J. Kunze, would have turned 72 years old today. Were he still with us, I would have given him a copy of Waylon County for his birthday and signed it with "danke für alles"; for, without his influence, Waylon County in this form would not exist.

In my mid-twenties, Randy gave me a copy of Roemer's Texas, and it was this book that provided me with my first insight into Texas-German history. Then, when I was considering taking a job in the Czech Republic, Randy gave me Czech language cassettes and encouraged me to move to Europe while others were advising against it. Without Randy's influence, I would not have lived five years in the Czech Republic, and I would have never considered writing a book that included stories about the descendants of Texas' early settlers.

Randy was a proud Texan and a direct descendant of Stephen F. Austin on his mother's side. In his later years, the family resemblance was extremely apparent. He looked very much like Stephen F. Austin does in 19th century portraits. Although no stories of the birth of Texas passed down in family lore, Randy was very aware of his Texas heritage and introduced me to some of the state's greatest places. I am very thankful to have had him, and today I only wish I could tell him, "Alles Gute zum Geburtstag."






No comments:

Post a Comment