Saturday, October 21, 2017

Funky Times in the Fort

Today we strolled the Arts Goggle on Magnolia in Fort Worth enjoying the art, artists, and artisans. I stopped and talked with the wife of a man who created illuminated manuscripts. She told me that the inks her husband used were based on medieval or Renaissance recipes depending on the project and that the works were done upon vellum. I asked for a business card and was very pleased to see the words upon it:

"Scribal Work Shop 
  Lucas Tucker 
  Scribe and Chemist"

In my opinion, one would be hard-pressed to have a better title than "Scribe and Chemist." I am sure Andrew Dorantes, the ruff-collar wearing protagonist of my story, "The Librero," would surely agree.

While walking along Magnolia, Martina and I saw a Fema wagon turned art showcase, an antique porch screen converted into an installation piece, graphic political commentary in acrylic, a local homage to Avedon, a spaghetti western in oil, and countless curiosities and baubles. We also heard a US Navy jazz band, a young singer-songwriter who seemed influenced by both Sharon Van Etten and Robert Zimmerman, and we heard snippets of acts that were playing on the side streets. To round out our day, we visited the authors at the Leaves Book and Tea Shop tent. Leaves, I was glad to learn, will be opening the doors of its storefront this fall.

The Arts Goggle has grown into an incredible success, and I commend the organizers for their tenacity and vision. When the festival began more than a decade ago, I remember having to drive from venue to venue because the festival was so small and the venues spread so far apart. Not any more. It is block after block of culture and fun. Hats off to the Arts Goggle and the folks that are making Fort Worth funky.


Here is a picture of some art in progress that Martina took today:





No comments:

Post a Comment