Sunday, March 4, 2018

All Night Diners

I have always loved all night diners. I like the quiet ones that feel like an Edward Hopper painting as well as the chaotic ones where the waitresses appear to be performing some sort of a variety show act with giant stacks of plates. Both of these kinds of diners make me happy provided that eggs over easy, hash browns, and bottomless pots of coffee are served.

One of my favorites was a place called the Pink Poodle in Fort Worth. The Pink Poodle was just what you would imagine it to be. It was an old school diner, and you'd see rodeo participants with their numbers still pinned on their backs, women with beehives, men that looked like they might have just got out of jail, and all sorts of other folks in there. The place has been closed for years, but it still crosses my mind every now and again.

 Image result for pink poodle fort worth texas

Here's "Heartaches and Grease" by Mother Hubbard. Were I to write a story about the Pink Poodle, those two themes would reign supreme. 





1 comment: