Friday, March 16, 2018

Jerry Jeff Walker: Birthday Cowboy

Jerry Jeff Walker turns 76 today. Whenever I think about ol' Scamp Walker, I can do nothing but smile because so many fond memories are tied to his music. One of my favorite memories is of listening to the "Viva Terlingua" album while studying abroad in London. A bunch of us Southwestern University kids were living in the Crofton Hotel across from Kensington Gardens, and we loved that Jerry Jeff album. One of the highlights for me was when Gary P. Nunn sang about Marble Arch Station, which was just a short walk away.

When I lived in Yellowstone, I used to hang out in my friend Texas Jack's motor home and listen to that record as well. A few years later, when I lived in the Czech Republic, I often sat on my porch with "Live at Gruene Hall" blaring. When I think about it, I guess Jerry Jeff just sounds like home. And when I was home, I always tried to make a Jerry Jeff show if I could. Of those, my favorite was the time when my dear brother, who was involved with the Dallas Film Festival, picked Jerry Jeff and Susan Walker up at the airport and managed to get me into the after party following the screening of the Jerry Jeff documentary, "OK Buckaroos." I tried to be cool and nonchalant, but I imagine my excitement was readily apparent. 

Happy birthday, Jerry Jeff! With a little luck, maybe we can all make it out to the Redneck Mother Day show at Gruene Hall on May 13th.




No comments:

Post a Comment