Monday, March 26, 2018

Barbeque: Post at your Peril

Politics, religion, and barbeque are three subjects I try to avoid. I am, after all, a lover of peace and harmony, not animosity and discord, and I practice tolerance and kindness with all of the energy I can garner. Although I have oft skirted the perils of discussing politics and religion online, I once walked into a barbeque-related ambush in what I thought to be friendly territory.

In a Facebook group dedicated to all things Texas, someone posted the, ahem, innocent question,"What is your favorite barbeque place?" Without a lick of caution, I posted the name of my favorite place, a fine old establishment that never fails to make the Texas Monthly list, and I quickly drew fire. Friendly fire even. While this is nothing like the firestorm started on Twitter when someone asked the incendiary question, "Why is Brooklyn Barbeque Taking Over the World?," I am still a little gun-shy when it comes to barbeque.

So why am I talking about barbeque then? Because, gun-shy or not, I just can't help it. I love it. Viva the brisket! Viva the ribs! That's what I say. And I love places that serve it. I love places with names like Burly Bill's Bona Fide Barbeque (which I just made up) where Longhorn steer horns hang on the wall, a roll of paper towels graces every table, and the strains of Ernest Tubb tickle my ears. That, to me, is what it's all about. So here's a hearty hurray for barbeque and the good folks that serve it!

In case you're curious, click the link below to access barbeque guru Daniel Vaughn's recent piece about Brooklyn Barbeque.



And for your listening pleasure, here is a little hymn from the High Holy Church of BBQ.




No comments:

Post a Comment