Thursday, March 8, 2018

Rounding up the Rattlers

When I was a young reporter for the Williamson County Sun, I covered the rattlesnake roundup in Taylor, Texas. That sunny Saturday morning I interviewed both protesters and proponents, and I ate some fried rattlesnake, which looked much like fried fish but tasted more like chicken. There was talk of milking snakes, gassing snakes, and educating folks about snakes. I just listened and scrawled down everything I needed to write my story.

The 60th annual World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup started today in Sweetwater. The first big event, the Miss Snake Charmer Pageant, is happening right now while I am typing this post. I hope Junior Brown's "Venom Wearing Denim" somehow figures into the evening. 




If you are in the mood for another song about snakes, here's one by Townes Van Zandt.


   

 

1 comment: