Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Chasin' Rainbows

When I am listening to music online, occasionally I slip down a rabbit hole and find myself in a beautiful place I've never been before. This evening while sliding down the rabbit hole, I came across the music of the Dallas String Band. The band, which was active in the late 1920s and early 1930s, produced only twelve recordings as a group and are considered by some to be a "proto-blues" act or even an "early Texas country band." In terms of bona fides, both Blind Lemon Jefferson and T-Bone Walker sometimes played with the group, though neither recorded with them.

At the bottom of the rabbit hole where I found the Dallas String Band, I also found a rainbow, or at least the song "Chasin' Rainbows." Folks familiar with R. Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders have probably heard the song before, but here is the 1928 original. Please note that the gentlemen in the picture are most likely not the Dallas String Band, though the musicians would have been playing similar instruments.


  

Here is a great biography of the Dallas String Band:

   

No comments:

Post a Comment