Monday, April 2, 2018

An Encounter with the Days of Yore

Martina and I stopped by the Weatherford Farmers Market last Saturday, where we saw an incredible sight. No, it wasn't the squash or the onions or even the zucchini (though all of them did look great). It was the old Vee Dub van in the parking lot. While I stood there gawking like a rube, my mind quickly became flooded with memories of the 1977 Volkswagen Westphalia I used to have. That van could sleep four and even had a sink. And I drove that groovy ol' lime green bus from Fort Worth to Yellowstone and beyond.

One time it broke down at the gate of the Custer Battlefield. Another time it broke down near Mount Rushmore. Then there was the time when two tires blew within miles of one another in the desert outside of Moab, and, of course, there was also the time I almost left it in the Wall Drug parking lot in South Dakota. But still I loved that old van. We traveled many a mile together.

Here's a picture Martina took of the van we saw in Weatherford.



No comments:

Post a Comment