Monday, April 16, 2018

My Buddy Cody: A "Fictional" Character

This evening I talked to my ol' buddy Cody Delmere on the telephone. I've known Cody since the third grade, and we played baseball together for years. In high school, we used to ride around in his old green and primer pickup truck singing songs at the top of our voices because we were the only musical entertainment available in his truck. And the problem was not radio reception. The problem was that every time he bought a new stereo, somebody would steal it. So we drove around town singing George Strait, George Jones, and AC/DC. Although there was nothing but a hole in the dashboard, the music played on.

My wife has never met Cody, but I think my description of him is fairly accurate. I told her, "Imagine Gus McCrae as a fireman." Gus McCrae, of course, is a famous character from Lonesome Dove, and Cody Delmere is, well, a very colorful fireman. In fact, somebody used him as a character in a novel.

"Well, Cody, how will I know which character is you?" I asked.

"You'll know it because the character is a fireman named Cody Delmere, and you can find him on Page 62," Cody replied.   

So I bought the book.


Here is one of the songs we used to sing in Cody's truck all of those years ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment