Sunday, April 8, 2018

Padre! Fifty Years of Woohoo!

The headline of this blog post is nothing more than click bait. You probably thought that I would be writing about the bacchanalian indiscretions of scantily-clad undergraduates enjoying their vernal respite on the beaches of South Texas. But that is not at all what I am writing about today. I am writing about nature.   

On this day in 1968, Lady Bird Johnson dedicated the Padre Island National Seashore. According to the National Park Service, the Padre Island National Seashore is "the longest stretch of undeveloped barrier island in the world." I think it is also interesting to note that this federally-protected seashore spans three counties and hosts Kemp's ridley sea turtles as well 380 bird species. So in honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the park's dedication, I now will shout, "Hurray for Padre! Fifty years! Woohoo!"

And here is Gary P. Nunn singing, "My Kind of Day on Padre."



No comments:

Post a Comment