Sunday, April 22, 2018

Green Frogs and Dairy Queens

This afternoon my dear ol' dad and I rode along Jacksboro Highway until we reached the fine town of Jacksboro. The plan was to eat a late lunch at the Green Frog Restaurant and then visit Fort Richardson. Although we had plenty of time to visit the fort, we arrived too late to eat at the Green Frog, which we wanted to patronize because of the "Green Frog Cafe" reference in Guy Clark's  "Desperadoes Waiting for a Train," but, like I said, we were a tad too tardy.

At the screening of the Jerry Jeff Walker documentary, "OK Buckaroos," at the Dallas Film Festival a few years ago, someone asked Jerry Jeff about the location of the Green Frog Cafe. So Jerry Jeff called Guy Clark and put him on speaker phone. Clark said that there were several Green Frog Cafes out there, which was one of the reasons he chose the name for the place in the song. I do not know if the Green Frog was already in Jacksboro when the song was written, but one reviewer on Trip Advisor states that the restaurant "has been there since dirt was invented." And that, my friends, must have been a long time ago. So that fine establishment in Jacksboro must surely be one of the Green Frog Cafes Guy Clark was referencing. We will indeed return to that fine Jack County institution, and I will share my full report.

Anyway, we ate at the friendly neighborhood Dairy Queen. Nice folks. Hot fries. Good cheeseburgers.


And here is a Dairy Queen commercial that I found amusing.





No comments:

Post a Comment