Friday, April 13, 2018

To My Wife: An Attempt at Being Demonstrative Online

My wife and I are not demonstrative online. We do not post things like "I love you, sugar-baby-honey-bun" or send one another e-cards that open to animated butterflies flitting about the screen. That's just not how we roll.

Besides that, Martina does not like to be the center of attention. She never even wants to have a birthday party because she doesn't like events that focus around her. And although she will probably ask me to remove this post, I must say that she has been fundamental to any success I have had over the last few years.

It was actually Martina, a native of Europe, who helped me realize that I needed to focus on writing about Texas. My work had always had Texans in it, but I had never focused on the state itself. Martina also allows me the space to write and doesn't get mad when I am up until three or four in the morning finishing a short story. And heck, she even took the cover photo for Waylon County, as well as the headshot on the back. So, yes, behind this particular redneck with a pen, there is indeed a great woman.

In lieu of a love song like "Islands in the Stream" or "You're the Inspiration," I would like to dedicate "I'm My Own Grandpa" to Martina. This little ditty is her favorite song from "Rainbow Connection," which happens to be her favorite Willie Nelson album. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment