Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Flaco and Buck

I have been planning on writing a blog post about San Antonio native Flaco Jimenez for quite a while. Flaco, a Tejano accordion legend, has played with everyone from Bob Dylan to Willie Nelson to the Rolling Stones. The only time I ever saw Flaco Jimenez was at Farm Aid in 1992, when he was punching the buttons with the Texas Tornados. I remember el supergroup playing "Hey Baby, Que Paso," a song I have always loved. But then, how could you not dig a song with lyrics like "Hey Baby, que paso / I thought I was your only vato"?

I was also planning on writing about Buck Owens of Sherman, Texas. Although he is known for the Bakersfield sound, Buck Owens was actually a Texas boy whose family moved West when the Dust Bowl hit. Buck's most well known song is "Act Naturally," which was subsequently recorded by the Beatles. In 1988, Ringo Starr rerecorded the song with Buck.

So tonight we've got a two-for-one special. Here is Flaco Jimenez and Buck Owens playing the Beatles' "Love Me Do."



1 comment: