Thursday, January 11, 2018

Cold Front Contemplation

The wind is whipping and howling outside the window, and flurries of snow have come and gone. It is warm and comfortable inside my library, and I think about the cattle drives of the 1880s. I think about cowboys moving the herds across the open range through rain and sleet and snow with no cover in sight. Yes, the nineteenth century cowboy is an iconic figure, a romanticized figure, and he probably would not have traded his freedom for anything, but on days like today, I imagine even the wildest of drovers would have contemplated the merits of a warm fireplace and a roof over his head. Yes sir, I imagine he would have entertained the notion of homesteading, at least for a spell, and then promptly decided to dismiss it.

Here's a little cold weather music from the Sir Douglas Quintet.




No comments:

Post a Comment