Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Reverend Horton Heat Birthday Song

I was first introduced to Texas' own Reverend Horton Heat when I was living in Yellowstone National Park. My roommate at the time was a guy named Pete, who was raised in a hippie commune in Hawaii but was basically from Seattle, and he liked to play his Reverend Horton Heat album at top volume.

Although the Reverend Horton Heat was a Dallas psychobilly outfit, they had signed with Seattle's Sub Pop label, which had also signed grunge bands such as Nirvana and Soundgarden. So the Reverend Horton Heat was pretty well-known in Seattle in the early-1990s, with my buddy Pete being a great advocate of the Lone Star trio.

Once I got back to Texas, I introduced my cousin Luke to the band, and he dug them so much that he joined me for a show at the Ridglea Theater in Fort Worth. Today, in honor of my cousin Luke's birthday, here is the Reverend Horton Heat's "Eat Steak." The chorus includes the line, "Eat steak, eat steak, when you're in the moooooooooodddd!"



   

No comments:

Post a Comment