Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Texas Country Kin

A distant relative of mine named Billy Cate is a country singer down in Cleburne, Texas, a town on the Old Chisholm Trail. I once heard him play in downtown Fort Worth many years ago, and he played my grandfather's birthday one year, but I would not claim to know him.

A good while back, I was walking along the side of the road and found one of Billy Cate's records in the gravel. It is a doo-wop single that he released in the 1960s on the Manco label, and the record has a Fort Worth address on it. Considering the sheer unlikelihood of finding an old 45 by my distant relative on the side of the road, I keep the record displayed on one of my bookshelves. And that record was the inspiration for this particular blog post.

Here is one of Billy Cate's western swing numbers.




No comments:

Post a Comment