Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Popeye's Texas Roots

Popeye the Sailor Man first appeared in print on January 17, 1929. The first newspaper to run the comic-strip was the Victoria Advocate, and the strip's author, Elzie Crisler Segar, considered Victoria, Texas, to be Popeye's hometown. I personally would like to thank Popeye the Sailor for making me a lifelong eater of spinach. When I was a child, I was such an avid fan of the cartoon sailor that I ate spinach with great gusto in hopes to one day be like Popeye.

Here is an article by the Texas State Historical Association about Popeye the Sailor Man.


If you would like to sing Popeye's theme song, a song which could at one time send me into a spinach-eating frenzy, please click on the video below and follow the bouncing ball.




No comments:

Post a Comment