Monday, January 22, 2018

Talkin' Texican: Tuckered Out

My grandparents were all raised in fairly isolated places, which means that I was raised hearing older forms of the Texas vernacular. In elementary school, other kids even commented on how I talked "country." I was a little embarrassed at the time, but now I am thankful that my linguistic repertoire includes these older forms.

According to a 1962 study, one term that was used with some frequency among Texans 60 years or older (i.e. people born around 1900 or earlier) was "tuckered out." "Tuckered out" means to be very tired, and the term is still used on occasion today. This evening I am feeling fairly tuckered out, which is why I chose it for my term of the day. In the name of full disclosure, "tuckered out" actually originated in New England in 1833, but considering its widespread usage among older Texans in the mid-twentieth century, I have elected to highlight it in today's blog post.

If you are feeling tuckered out, here is a lullabye by Townes Van Zandt. You'll be dreaming pretty dreams before you know it.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment